The nsoro Foundation
There are presently no open calls for applications.
Welcome, and thank you for your interest in The nsoro Foundation. We provide academic scholarships and college-prep programs for foster care youth—current, aged-out, and emancipated—and wards of the state. Please take a moment to review the guidelines and eligibility criteria for each application below. If you have any questions, please contact us at (404) 524-0807.
Thank you, and good luck!
2021 - 2022 Scholarship Application is CLOSED. 2022 - 2023 Scholarship Application will open December 1, 2021, and close April 15, 2022.
Eligibility Criteria Applicants must:
- Certify that they are currently placed in foster care, a ward of the state, and/or eligible for ILP, having aged out of foster care as a young adult.
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent and have a high school cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Have been accepted into an accredited, Pell-eligible college or another post-secondary school.
- Be under the age of 25 on March 31 of the year in which they apply if they have not previously received funding from The nsoro Foundation.
- Be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States.
- Students who have been nsoro scholars for four years will be considered for advanced degree support.
Application Deadline: April 15, 2022
- Students are required to maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA to retain scholarships. Scholarships are announced annually on June 15th. Recipients are notified via email at the email address provided in their application.
- Scholarships may be used for tuition, books, and room and board. Scholarship disbursements are sent directly to the academic institution.
- Applicants must obtain three letters of recommendation written by teachers, employers, or community leaders. The letters must include a brief description of the relationship to the applicant. They should address why the applicant deserves a scholarship, describing specific abilities, skills, or attributes that exemplify excellence in their school or community. The three letters must be uploaded as part of the complete application to submit.
- An official high school or college transcript must be uploaded, along with the school registrar's name and contact information, as part of the complete application to submit. Applications will not be considered if the school registrar's name and phone number are not included.
- The applicant must provide documentation that they are currently placed in foster care by the state court system or that you "aged out" of the foster care system and have not been adopted. (Must be a court document or letter from caseworker or ILS)
FOR CURRENT NSORO SCHOLARS | You do not have to reapply. Please submit the following documents (AWARD PACKAGE SUMMARY, STUDENT BILL, UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT, AND CLASS SCHEDULE) during the dates below:
Submission Deadlines & Disbursement Dates:
- Fall Term: Submit Forms Between July 15 - August 31 > All awards will be disbursed by September 30th.
- Spring Term: Submit Forms Between Dec 15 - January 31 > All awards will be disbursed by February 28th.
- Summer Term: Submit Forms Between April 15 - May 31> All awards will be disbursed by June 30th.
Pre Disbursement Letters will be sent on Wednesdays. This letter will be sent to you and your institution with the amount you will be receiving for the semester. (The following week after your submission)